Life is a combination of easy and hard moments. We must learn to embrace what is easy, and also embrace what is hard. Sometimes we may feel like giving up and see no point in living, but there are so many wonderful reasons to stay alive. A list of 100 is still not enough.
There are so many people failing to find even a single worthy reason to live and ready to give up on their lives. I lost one of my friends this way.
We met on our Sandakphu trek together. He was a junior at University and was a joyous soul with a smile always on his face. It’s hard to think that he’s no more, only because he couldn’t find even a single reason to live. My friend lost her best friend this way too.
I too have gone through such a time myself where everything seemed dark and scary and like there was no place where I could run from my mind, but I kept looking at reasons to live and hung on.
I write this post for anybody who’s going through a tough time and failing to see the wonders of life and living.
I am glad you’re looking for a reason.
I hope you come back to the present moment, pause for a while and really breathe as you read this list and imagine all the things you will be missing out if you weren’t alive.
Letting go of this beautiful life on Earth, with trees, mountains, rivers, stars, parents, friends, and loved ones and missing out on all of the things this life has to offer would be the greatest FOMO.
So here I begin this list of 100 wonderful reasons to stay alive. I hope it inspires you even a bit and gives you at least one good reason.
100 wonderful reasons to stay alive
Table of Contents
1. To see how it would be to be kind to yourself and live with compassion instead of criticism of yourself
2. To see what happens if you don’t give up. Don’t you want to see what could possibly be there if you don’t give up? It may seem dark and uncertain now, but isn’t everything uncertain?
Just take this life and everything that is there that is challenging you as an experiment. How would your approach be that way?
3. To enjoy what there is to enjoy. Life is not to be taken seriously.
4. To suffer what there is to suffer. Because it is a fact of life. Just surf through the suffering and see it as separate from you- as if it is an object as if you are standing on the shore and looking at the river passing by.
5. To give yourself the chance to look at the world with fresh eyes.
Look at your city again. Look at the trees again. Look at your mother again. Look at the people, and the cars, and listen to the sounds around you. Look at them all with fresh eyes.
6. To show others how it can be overcome through your personal example.
7. To be kind to people and live a meaningful ordinary/ extraordinary life.
8. To outlive your parents and be a wonderful extension of them.
9. For the sake of your body that loves you and that is working for you tirelessly.
Can you close your eyes and pause for a while to show compassion to them- to your eyes looking at what it is looking, to your hands holding things for you, to your heart beating for you tirelessly, to your legs taking you places? They’re there. You are alive and you have a body that loves you.
It would be mean to all of them, and especially your heart that is so kind if you did not care for them and only cared to listen to your mind who right now doesn’t love you.
10. Live to live with compassion instead of criticism for the world and people around you.
They’re all trying too. The world and people aren’t so bad. They don’t know too. People do the best of what they can. Let it all be and let them all be.
You live with grace and compassion. See what it would be like to live with forgiveness and look at the world with kind eyes.
P.S If you want to feel more grateful and positive in life, take my free 21-day Gratitude Challenge that so many have loved.
11. Live for the love of your breath.
12. Live to go for long walks.
13. Live for the joy of holding hands with friends and loved ones.
14. Live to go on road trips with friends, family and loved one
15. Live to dress up and wear wonderful clothes
16. Live to eat wonderful food and home-cooked food by your mother.
17. Live for the joy of going on picnics again.
18. Live for the joy of singing and listening to your favourite songs.
19. Live to do the mundane everyday routine. Can you do it with more presence? Life is such and even the mundane is actually wonderful. We are playing life-life and house-house in this world. Let us just enjoy.
20. Live to touch people’s lives through your example. Give some moment to think about what example you can make. How do you want to live? Nobody is stopping you. Start afresh every morning.
21. For the joy of cosying up in bed and reading a book or just napping.
22. Live because you get to talk to your best friend.
23. Walking barefoot on the sand or grass
24. Live to look at your face every day. To take care of your skin.
25. Getting to kiss your partner/ future partner.
26. Getting to hold your partner’s/ future partner’s hand
27. To see how your baby looks.
28. To feel the water on your skin and enjoy a good bath again.
30. To learn more about yourself and see yourself unfold through various phases of your life
31. To see everything that happens in life as an experiment
32. To love this Earth and see the wonders of living in this wonderful blue planet
33. To do wonderful things with this gift of life.
34. To travel the world and see all the various places. Here are 40 Breathtaking Places to visit before you die
35. To get rich and live an abundant life
36. To create the life of your dreams and see yourself succeeding in life.
37. To see your parents be proud of you
38. To take your parents for a vacation to wonderful places and make them proud and happy.
39. Live to see your children grow.
40. Live to see your siblings grow.
41. Live to go to your friend’s marriage and see them getting married. You wouldn’t want to miss that.
42. Live to see your friends succeeding in their lives.
43. Live to enjoy a get-together with friends and catch up with your lives.
44. Live for the possibility of meeting your soulmate and marrying the right person who is going to make life so much fun
45. To meet all the wonderful people you’ve not met before
46. To skydive from Burj khalifa
47. To watch the sunrise from the prettiest viewpoints of this Earth
48. To do scuba diving and look at the wonders of life underneath the ocean
49. To relax at the beach and feel the warm sun.
50. To decorate your home
51. Live to meditate. Here is a 10 minute Guided meditation. I love this channel for meditation.
52. Live to smell nice and feel nice again. It’s possible. P.S self care gifts to give yourself
53. Live to watch and listen to the river flowing.
54. Live to go to the Himalayas and look at the mountains and see life there.
55. Live to hear the sound of rain again.
56. Live to watch wonderful movies that will come out in future.
57. Live to go on solo dates. P.S here are 50+ solo date ideas you must go to
58. Live to Cuddle and relax with your pets and partner.
59. Live because you get to draw and paint and enjoy other hobbies whatever you like. P.S Why you should make time for hobbies.
60. Live to dance. Yes, dance more in your everyday life. You don’t need a reason to dance. Just turn up the music and dance.
61. Getting to cook for yourself and loved ones
62. Getting to read wonderful poems. Here is a wonderful one,
63. To enjoy the joy of doing nothing and learn how to truly rest and enjoy relaxing
64. Live because you get to learn anything you want to in this life. Ask yourself, ‘What is it that you want to learn?’.
Pursue in learning something and make your time worth it. In this age, it has become so easy to learn anything. Find new things to learn in life.
65. Live to hear your parents/ siblings/loved ones shout at you.
It’s funny, but even the moments when people are mad at us and moments when we make people mad are very part of this life, and years later we may remember them as wonderful funny memories and moments.
Don’t you want to make your mother angry at you again?
66. Live to enjoy the joy of sleeping on clean sheets
67. Live for the possibility of meeting the love of your life.
FYI, if someone left you or things broke off between someone you loved and you feel you lost the love of your life, remember that the love you lose can never be the love of your life, because the actual love of your life always stays and if it didn’t, you haven’t found it yet.
68. Live to see your parent’s face and touch their skin and hold their hands again, to look at their eyes and really see them.
69. Getting to hear your parent’s voice.
70. Live for the sake of getting to laugh with friends again.
71. Getting to feel the sun shining on your skin. (5 minute self care ideas to lift you up)
72. Getting to hear the wind whistle.
73. Getting to see the leaves unfold.
74. Live to grow a flower and a plant and see it bloom from your care.
75. Getting to eat ice cream
76. Getting to make tea in the morning
77. Live to set small goals and reach them.
78. Live to touch the trees. Do you touch trees? When was the last time you touched a tree? Go and touch them or give them a hug.
79. Getting to look at the vast blue sky
80. Getting to look at the full moon
81. Getting to watch the sunset
82. Getting to read a book
83. Getting to wake up and watch the sunrise from a wonderful viewpoint.
84. Getting to hear music
85. Getting to love and be loved by an animal.
86. Getting to meet a dog you haven’t met who is going to love you so much.
87. Getting to eat pizza or your favourite food you always order when you’re in a restaurant
88. Getting to travel places
89.To do the things you (your mind) currently think it can’t and feel the joy of proving it wrong
90. Live to do crazy things you always want to do
91. Live to show others who want you to be miserable how happy you are. Show them your smile. Show them you’re enjoying life and actually enjoy your life. Show them you’re doing good and much better than they thought you could.
92. Live to go for solo travel and learn new things
93. Live to become a person who is boundless in love, compassion and strength.
94. Live to find meaning out of every experience in life. Ask yourself, ‘What’s the lesson in this?’
95. Live to go on a trip with your friends
96. Live to live a grateful life.
97. Live to see your grandchildren and see the wonderful extensions of you in the time you live.
98. Live to laugh again- the kind of laughter that makes you feel that you’re going to get abs. You will laugh and enjoy it again. Give this life a chance.
99. Live to become the best, kindest version of yourself at 90 years old, so that when you look at your life, you see how much you have grown, how much kinder you are to yourself and around you, and be able to tell yourself, tell God, “Thank you for this gift of life. I have made the most out of it. It was hard, but I learned to enjoy it all.”
100. Lastly, live to die well, to see and look back on the wonderful life you have led when the time to leave actually arrives. But now is not the time. Now is the time to live.
So these were the 100 reasons to live
Now, I ask you to make your own list of reasons. You don’t need to list 100 reasons. Just get a paper and write down just 10 reasons to stay alive.
It can be as small as being able to take your dog out for walks, or getting a call from your dad on your phone. These are not small at all. I would love to have my phone ring my father’s name again now that he’s no more.
List your own reasons- small or big.
I hope you live this life wonderfully.
I hope you don’t take life so seriously. We’re here just for a limited period of time. Let us be carefree. Let us be happy. Let us cry. Let us get mad. Let us be sad. Let us be furious. But let us at least live. Let us embrace and let us accept whatever life has to offer with grace and kindness, to ourselves and others.
Life holds potential because you are still alive. And anything is possible because you are alive.
The Earth needs your presence.
P.S If you’d like to hear more from me and receive my updates, join my Mindful Monday newsletter for inspiration, love and more kindness your way.
You might also like
- How to make life interesting again.
- Hobby ideas for adults to enjoy life
- Why I enjoy cleaning my home and not dread it
- How to change your life in 7 days
- How to overcome low self esteem