“‘I am never bored. To be bored is an insult to oneself’~ Jules Renard”
Do you get bored and end up scrolling through social media again and again, or watch series after series on Netflix but still you end up getting bored. You wish you had something productive to do, something meaningful to do, but you just don’t know what you should be doing instead.
It’s such a sluggish feeling, isn’t it? Well, worry not, because here in this post I have put out a comprehensive list of all the productive things to do when bored.
But before I do, let me share with you what I have come to understand about boredom and what boredom might actually be telling you.
What is boredom telling you?
Table of Contents
I don’t know if you might believe me or not, but I just realized that I don’t get bored anymore. It’s surprising to me as well.
I do know the desperate feeling of trying to pass time. I have been through that. Time is exhausting to pass especially when you’re depressed.
But now, it’s incredible that I find no difficulty in passing my time.
There’s always something meaningful to do, and even when I don’t have anything to do, it’s not boredom anymore. Its rest for me.
I do check my phone and social media, I do watch series on Netflix too (those are not bad in themselves), but it’s not out of boredom anymore.
I don’t do it to just fill up my time, but to enjoy my free time, my rest time. I spend time doing these things deliberately and in awareness, not out of boredom.
And it feels good. I am not a slave to boredom anymore.
How to overcome boredom
This might need a separate blog post altogether, but the shortest answer to how to overcome boredom would be to just allow yourself to get bored.
Yes, I repeat, if you want to overcome boredom, first, allow yourself to be bored.
Do you realize how we never allow ourselves to be bored?
Whenever boredom strikes, we just escape it instantly- to Instagram, to Facebook, to Netflix, Snapchat, clubhouse, and what not!
We don’t allow ourselves to get bored when actually our boredom might be telling something important.
Boredom is a state of mind. When you’re bored your mind is just empty, and it wants to be filled up with something (something meaningful actually)
But what happens is, we simply don’t allow ourselves to be bored to consider that and instead fill our time and our mind with meaningless activity and information.
Boredom is actually an invitation, calling from our hearts and mind asking us to refocus our attention to what is really significant and what it is that truly satisfies us and then doing just that.
So the next time boredom hits you, bring awareness to your boredom for a moment and allow yourself to be bored. Don’t do anything. Don’t try to escape it. Instead, stay with your boredom and notice it.
Then instead of simply filling your time, find something meaningful and productive to do.
If you have no idea what you can do, now, here is what this post is going to be helpful for with a 50+ lists of productive things you can do when bored.
So let us get started…
Productive things to do when bored
Pin for later!
Personal Development Things
Here is a list of all productive things you can do when you’re bored with regards to your personal development and your future goals and dreams
1. Write down your goals: You’re bored because you don’t have anything much to work on. A great productive thing to do when bored is to sit down and write down your goals. But before you do, make sure you don’t do any of these 5 common goal setting mistakes
2. Create a vision board: Here are some awesome vision board ideas for your goals.
3. Create your sacred space: Create a sacred space where you want to spend your day productively.
4. Review your goals and progress: What goals have you achieved so far and where are you on your way to achieving your goals. Track your progress.
5. Learn something new: It can be anything- gardening, cooking, knitting, blogging, a new language, anything
6. Create your own habit tracker: Create your own habit tracker on Canva or you can take these free habit tracker printables.
7. Read a book: Some books I would totally recommend are Atomic habits, The Power of Now, Man’s search for meaning, Many Lives Many Masters, Dairy of a Young girl, I am Malala, 5 am club, and The Richest Man in Babylon
8. Read a blog: One of my personal favorites is reading Cup of Jo
9. Set up a workout routine: Set up when you plan on doing it, at what time and how many days in a week and track your progress in a habit tracker
10. Find a good podcast: I personally don’t listen to podcasts, but here is a link to the best self help podcasts on spotify
11. Find out ways you can increase your income earning capability: This is really important and a great book you need to read when it comes to increasing and multiplying your income is the Richest Man in Babylon.
12. Journal: Journaling has so many incredible benefits. It brings in self discovery and helps you to be your own best friend. You can never be bored or lonely if you write and learn how to journal.
13. Meditate: When you’re bored, don’t immediately distract yourself. Sit in silence and notice it. Meditate and focus on your breath and simply be, simply allow your thoughts to be. Just bring in awareness.
Things to Clean and declutter
Here is a list of all things you can clean and declutter instead of sulking in boredom
14. Clean your room
15. Change your bedsheet
16. Clean your drawer
17. Clean your workspace
18. Clear your fridge
19. Declutter your wardrobe
20. Clear your inbox
21. Clear your phone
22. Wash the dishes
23. Do your laundry
24. Clean your room
Planning is an essential part of productivity. Here is a list of all essential things you can plan instead of being bored.
25. Plan your ideal day and create a daily routine: Here is a guide on creating a simple daily routine that sticks
26. Plan and create a morning routine: A morning routine is a must if you want to have a productive day. If you’re bored and you don’t have a morning routine yet, create one. Here are 5 habits you need to add to your morning routine.
27. Plan how you want to achieve your goals : Follow this complete guide
28. Plan your budget: Follow the 50/30/20 rule to budget money
29. Plan your week : Write down the list to things you want to get down in your week and create a week plan on how and when you want to do them.
30. Plan your meals: Plan your meals in advance by following a meal planner. Here are some free meal planner printable you can download
31. Plan your day: Just as you plan your week, plan your day and create a simple daily routine.
32. Plan your next vacation
33. Plan your work/study related tasks
34. Plan how you want to live more sustanably
35. Write down what you want to focus on this week
Here is a list of essential items you can organise when you’re bored
36. Organise your phone and laptop
37. Organise your pantry
38. Organise your closet
39. Organise your book shelf
40. Organise your important files
41. Update your resume
42. Make a list of your passwords
43. Make a list of things that have been pending to do
44. Make a list of books you want to read
45. Make a list of places you want to go
46. Make a list of things you need to buy
47. Download an app for organising your life: Here are 7 apps and tools to help you organize your life
Fun Productive things
A list of all fun productive things you can do when bored. Enjoy!
48. Tye-dye Tshirt: Here is a guide on how to tye-dye a tshirt
49. Create a Meditation corner: You will love it.
50. Write a gratitude list: Here is mine 🙂
51. Learn to grow plants : My mother has been totally into plants ever since the lockdown and she’s been enjoying her time so much!
52. Color in a coloring book: Here are some adult coloring books you might love.
53. Send a handwritten note: Would you love to receive a handwritten note? Why not send them instead.
54. Paint something: Oh! I love painting whenever I find myself wanting to get creative. I love how it calms you and brings in presence of mind. Instead of sulking in boredom, try out painting. You don’t have to be a pro. Simply just enjoy just like how little kids do!
55. Make your playlist on spotify: You can share it in the comment.
56. Cook something new: With all the youtube channels out there, try your hand at cooking something new. Who knows it might end up being your passion?
57. Bake a cake: I learned how to bake a cake when I had nothing to do. Its actually so easy!
58. Learn knitting or chrocheting: My mother and my aunt have been all into knitting this lockdown and they’ve made cushion covers, headbands and socks for me! I think its a great way to be productive when you’re bored.
59. Write a song
60. Write a poem
61. Write a letter to your future self
62. Write a letter to someone you love
63. Write a letter of forgiveness to someone who hurt you (even though you may not actually send it)
64. Write about things you love about your love
Lastly, spend some time researching important things that might be helpful for yourself, your career and your future. Here is what you can research about when you think you have nothing else to do!
65. Research about your career opportunities: Instead of just scrolling over your phone, this is the most legit productive thing to do when bored you for yourself and your future
66. Research about courses that might benefit you: Another productive thing to do when bored is to research and take courses.
I never thought about taking courses online until I started blogging. But once I started researching other successful bloggers everybody suggested to invest in blogging courses. And after much research I did.
I wish I hadn’t delayed on it. If there’s something you can learn from experts related to your expertise, don’t hesitate in investing.
My first investment after much research was Pinteresting strategies course by Carly Campbell and second, The Traffic transformation Guide by Lena Gott. I am happy to report they are both totally paying off!!
67. Research about ways you can live sustainably
68. Research how to make money online
69. Research about blogging: I would suggest just start a blog and then you will start learning. If you do or decide to, don’t make these 12 blogging mistakes like I did.
70. Research about what successful people have in common
So that’s all!! A huge list of productive thing you can do when bored.
Try out any number of them.
I hope it helps you!