You meet hundreds of people in your life and still, there are only a few with whom you can bond so naturally, with whom you are able to share your heart and with whom you continue to nurture and keep this bond even as things change and even as you change.
True friendship, just like true love I think is hard to find.
How can two people love each other at the same time?
We tend to think it is normal, but come to think of it, isn’t it something so magical and something so rare? To love someone immensely and then to have them love you back, and no one else back, with the same intensity that you do.
But once you do, just like you come to just know when you have found ‘the one’, I think even in friendship it is the same.
We meet so many people who we may call our friends, who we meet, who we talk to about endless stuff, but to have someone whom you trust, to have someone whom you are able to be your truest self, with whom you can feel safe and share your vulnerabilities, your fears, your joys and then, having them reciprocate everything towards you too. Isn’t this rare and isn’t it wonderful?
When you’ve found this you just know you’ve found your true friendship. You just know that they are ‘the one’ too, and that they are ‘the friendship of your life’.
Such true friendship is a treasure. They are my treasure.
This is what I call and understand as friendship. Even if we have one such friend with whom we can share such deep connection, such deep bonding, we have accomplished much.
And I consider myself lucky to have more than one.
And so since today is friendship day, I write this post as I think about my friends – about our bond, about our connection, and about what we have in common as we share this deep bond called friendship.
And I think this stands for all true friendship.
If you have this, you know you’ve got a good friend- a true friend. So here I share what I have come to know about friendship- the rare genuine kind of friendship.
What I have come to know about true friendship
1. There is a safe kind of feeling. You feel at home in their presence. There is genuine care, comfort, and warmth. You can literally feel it. Even as I write this as I think about them, I can feel the warmth and comfort of their friendship.
2. Laughter is abundant. Almost every sentence ends with laughter whether on phone or in person. You feel you’ve got abs just by laughing too much.
3. The bond is natural and free-flowing. There is not a hint of forcefulness. Immediately you connect and immediately you can become your truest self when you are with them. And you feel so light because with all others you haven’t been able to be your truest self even if you want to. But with them, you can put your guards down and they are the same with you.
4. There is honesty, transparency, and openness. You don’t feel the need to hide anything. You don’t have to think about how they might think about you. You are totally honest with them and they are totally honest with you.
5. Your energy is high when you are with them and that sets all others apart.
6. They just know how you are without you even saying it- through your energy, through your tone, through your voice. If you are going through some hard times, they make sure to ask you how you are and they give you their presence like no one else can, even if just through a simple text. They give you comfort and everything you need to hear and feel. They want to know how you are and they make sure they are there. (Thank you for being there)
7. You just feel connected from the heart even if you meet them after ages and even if you talk to them after a long gap.
8. There is no hidden jealousy. They show genuine support in all of your endeavors and you can feel it.
9. You have endless things to talk to without needing gossip.
10. You can have fun without alcohol
11. There is no judgment. There is only listening. When you give advice, they take it without feeling judged and vice versa. If they feel something wrong, they let you know and clear your heart. They give genuinely good advice.
12. There is no boredom.
13. They remind you of your capabilities, what you can do and what you are worth. They help you grow and understand more about each other.
14. They are truly happy about your success.
15. You know each other’s hearts. You know the kind of person they are deep inside their heart and they truly love you for who you are!
Ending this with Rupi Kaur’s Quote:
‘I can live without romantic love
but I can’t survive without
the women I call friends
they know exactly what I need
before i even know i need it
the way we hold space
for each other is just different’
It genuinely is just different.
Happy friendship day to all my friends.