Whether you’ve decided to start a blog, or just thinking to start one, the first question one faces is, ‘What should I blog about?’
If you’re anything like me, then far from having multiple blog topics to choose from, you’re actually kind of blank on what to blog about.
When I first decided to start a blog, I was blank about what topic I would blog on, but I started anyway, and even after finding my niche I was blogging about anything and everything.
Please don’t do that. You shouldn’t blog about anything and everything (unless you’re starting a blog just as a hobby)
Anyway, to answer your question, ‘What should I blog about’, here are somethings to consider first.
What is a blog niche?
Table of Contents
A blog niche is the particular topic you will be blogging about and creating content about in your blog.
For example, I have 3 blog niche I focus on- self improvement, lifestyle, and blogging.
Most people will tell you to start a niche blog and to go down extremely specific.
While its good to do that as you can gain trust from readers and google faster, for myself I felt it would be too boring to write about the same topic, so I chose 3 categories and made them my niche.
You can select one blogging niche and create different categories around it.
For example, if you select your niche to be a fashion blog then the categories could be-
or something like,
- product reviews
or you can have upto 3 blogging niche like most lifestyle blogs–
- Personal Growth or
blog topics like
- finance etc, according to your interest.
P.S I wouldn’t recommend going for more than 3 blog niche when you are starting, as its too time consuming and you won’t be able to build faster.
And now, to help you with your dilemma, here are things to consider:
What should I blog about? 4 ideas to pick your blog niche
Pin for later 🙂
1. Think about your interests
The first thing to consider when you’re considering what you should blog about is your own interest and passion.
What are the things that interest you and are passionate about?
Even if you think you’re someone with no interest or passion, that absolutely cannot be.
We all have something or the other we are interested in.
- Is it cooking? then you can start a food blog
- Is it make up and fashion? then you can start a fashion blog
- Are you living a sustainable life? then you can start a sustainable living blog and share your tips
- Are you interested in DIY? then you can start a DIY blog
- Too much into gaming? Then you can start a game blog
These are all some great blog topics. Here are some best blogging niches that can make money
You can start a blog about anything you are interested in and be successful.
You will not only be able to make money, but will also ignite that lost fire in you. You just have to think it through.
2. Think about what questions you can answer
Blogging in 2022 is different from what it used to be earlier. Also, blogging is not like youtube where you can just post vlogs and get people watch you.
To be successful in blogging, you need to answer questions and give people good answers to their problems and queries.
If you’re able to do that, then your blog will definitely take off.
I have been focusing on personal growth since a long time and I realised that I could answer a lot of questions related to productivity, self improvement, how to live a simple life, how to build self discipline, and so on.
Thus I decided to start a self improvement blog.
Later when I realised I could answer lots of beginner blogging questions that could be of help to new bloggers, I started with this blogging niche too.
So to help you decide what you should blog about, these are some questions to help you pick your blog niche
“What questions can you answer?”
“What is something you have answers for, but don’t have a channel to utilize?”
“What are the things you can give suggestions for to a specific audience”
- Do you have answers to what phone or gadgets to buy? Then you can start a tech blog
- Have you sucessfully got out of debt and have many personal finance tips to help people save more money? Then you can start a personal finance blog.
- Do you get asked questions related to motherhood? Then you can start a mom blog and give mommy tips to new moms
- Do you have answers for gardening and plants? Then you can start a gardening blog.
Just think about what answers you can provide, and pick your niche.
If you have just a little more knowledge and experience about it than the rest, thats all the skill you need to be a successful blogger.
People are only looking for answers at the beginner level, so don’t worry if you’re not an expert already.
3. Look upto other blogs
Once you think that you’ve found your potential blog niche, look upto other blogs in that niche.
Just type in google and you can find plenty. Go into their website and look at these things
- Their blog categories
- Their blog sub-categories
- What topics they are writing about (can you answer those too in your own way?)
- How are they monetizing their blog? (Ads, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts?)
- What can you incorporate from their blog (not to copy, but just to take inspiration from)
- What is missing from their blog or content?
I suggest you look upto 5 other successful blogs in your potential niche and really study them. Don’t worry if there’s too much competition.
In fact its good if you have competition because that means that its profitable, and that people are actually looking for these answers. So you stand an equal chance to be successful too.
When you study these blogs, you will get more clarity on what you want to blog about and pick your blog niche with more decisiveness.
4.Think about your 5 year blog vision
I know that’s too far fetched when you not even begun blogging and stuck with your blog niche, but I want you to really think about your 5 year blog vision.
- How do you want your blog to be in 5 years?
- What topics would you want to cover in your blog?
- What kind of content are you going to have in your blog?
Create this 5 year blog vision. Once you do, you will have picked up your perfect blog niche.
So these were my tips to help you decide what you should blog about. I hope you found them helpful.
What would I blog about if I was starting again
If I were starting again, and if I had plenty of time and a little bit more knowledge about the subject, I would love to start a blog on
- Research: to help with tips for phD students
- Personal finance: If I were able to stick to a budget, had plenty of money saving tips and were diligent with finance
- Mom blog: if I were a mother
- Study tips for students or a college blog
- Self care blog
Final thoughts on what you should blog about
Lastly, I just want to say that you don’t need to have perfect clarity from the start. Just even a little clarity on what you are going to blog about, and what your blog niche is going to be will do.
You will find more clarity as you go, and you can always make adjustments later. Just make sure that your blog domain is not restricted to a specific topic, and will allow you to make changes later on as well.
For example, if your domain name has gaming in it and later you also want to blog about technology, then that would be a problem.
So just be careful with your domain, and rest can happen along the way.
All the best!
Pin for later 🙂